In this simulation, you can input an axial/longitudinal force, dimensions of a cross-sectional area, and cut angle.
The corresponding normal stress σ_n and shear stress 𝝉_n at the cut are calculated and displayed.
Input Axial/Longitudinal Force Fx (in N)
Cross-Sectional Area: Circular Radius (in mm) OR
Square Side Length (in mm)
The initial values in the simulation are Fx = 100 N, Area = 1mm^2.
1. Write down the equations for σ_n and 𝝉_n in terms of Fx, A, and Cut Angle.
2. Using the equations from Part 1, determine which Cut Angle gives max 𝝉_n.
3. Test your answer to Part 2 by trying a variety of Cut Angles in the simulation.
4. Model any Cut Angle in the simulation. Given your inputted Fx, A, and Cut Angle, verify your hand-calculations for σ_n and 𝝉_n.
5. Input different Radius values to investigate how increased Radius affects σ_n and 𝝉_n.
6. Input the same magnitudes for Radius and then Side to see how the shape of the cross-sectional area affects σ_n and 𝝉_n.